The series “Dopesick” tells about the epidemic, which later became known as “opioid” and lasted for several years. America in the 90s was crippled by the constant use of opioid analgesics, which helped to cope with attacks of acute, chronic and moderate pain. Pharmaceutical companies actively promoted OxyContin and encouraged doctors to prescribe it more often. But people died in hundreds!..
“Dopesick ss 2”: release date, announcement
A sequel to the TV show “Dopesick” has not been announced. As a reminder, Season 1 was based on the popular 2018 book “Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors and the Drug Company that Addicted America” by Bette Macy. However, the closure of the project was not announced either. Perhaps season 2 will be released, and the storyline will be different, but also loud and scandalous.
In the 90s, opioid analgesics became popular throughout America. Hard work in factories affected the health of employees. In Oklahoma, miners constantly took painkillers, as the exhausting labor gave pain in every part of the body. One day a certain Billy comes to Dr. Samuel Finnix. He is the sales representative of the largest medical company manufacturing OxyContin.
The guy convinces an experienced doctor that the drug is not addictive and is unique in its kind. Thanks to the latest research, it has acquired the status of a safe remedy that can relieve pain. But Dr. Finnix’s extensive experience suggests that there is a lie somewhere. He decides to give himself time to think. But in the end he agrees with the treatment of people without consequences.
A little later, Billy begins to realize that his earnings are nothing more than the slow murder of people. He has to choose between big money and a conscience. By that time, around the world began to unrest associated with the use of supposedly “safe” pills. The popularity of OxyContin is growing. People who take it begin to die slowly and painfully.
Betsy Mallum works at the mine following in the footsteps of their parents. One day a girl gets a serious injury, which over time causes more and more discomfort. Having turned to a local doctor for help, Betsy did not know yet that he was writing her a one-way ticket. And Dr. Finnix was convinced that he was doing a good deed in helping her relieve her suffering.
In the meantime, people get used to the drug, the main face of the pharmaceutical company Richard Sackler is gaining momentum — he spends colossal money on advertising, promotes the brand where a large number of production workers live, changes the packaging, making the pill several times larger. Many are trying to stop this arbitrariness, but no one is able to cope with the system.
Several years pass. Dr. Samuel Finnix is now convinced that he was given ordinary opium of the second level of toxicity, and he prescribed it to hundreds of people who have now become drug addicts, sit in the alleyways, steal, sell their bodies and try to make money on a pill in every possible way. OxyContin surpasses cocaine and heroin in popularity. And then the detectives get down to business, who care about the fate of people…
Actors and their roles
- Dr. Samuel Finnix — a doctor with a perfect reputation; succumbed to Billy’s assurances that the drug is not addictive and has a different labeling than other opioids; in the end, he hooked the whole city to this drug — Michael Keaton.
- Richard Sackler — a rich man; manic about spreading OxyContin all over the world; knows about the side effects of the drug, but he doesn’t care about the deaths of people — Michael Stuhlbarg.
- Bridget Meyer — worked for DEA; found pills belonging to the Richard’s corporation from clandestine dealers; started asking him inappropriate questions, which ended very badly for her — Rosario Dawson.
- Betsy — four generations of her family have worked in the mine, of which she is the first girl; Betsy was pushed to the corner of an iron cart, after which she could not cope with bouts of pain; started taking OxyContin and later did everything to get it — Kaitlyn Dever.
- The actress for the role of Betsy Mallum was chosen longer than the others, since it was she who set the main dramatic component of the series. As a result, Kaitlyn Dever brilliantly passed all the auditions. In 2020, the actress was selected among the nominees for the Golden Globe. Then she did not receive the award, but showed her best side in the TV series “Unbelievable”.
- In December 2020, filming began in Richmond and central Virginia, which lasted until May 2021. For so long they have been shooting pictures for various reasons, the main one of them lately is the coronavirus pandemic. Despite all the delays, the TV show was launched on time.
- Thanks to executive producer Jane Bartelme, the best directors (Barry Levinson, Michael Cuesta, Patricia Riggen) and actors (Kaitlyn Dever, Will Poulter, Michael Keaton) were hired to create the TV series.
- The TV project is based on a real story, when an American company created a wave of a terrible drug epidemic. Despite the reality of events, the series “Dopesick” still refers more to fiction.
Dopesick Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2×01||Series 1||not announced|
|2×02||Series 2||not announced|
|2×03||Series 3||not announced|
|2×04||Series 4||not announced|
|2×05||Series 5||not announced|
|2×06||Series 6||not announced|